Us

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

yummy!

The homemade summer sausage I made on Saturday turned out amazing!!!  especially for having never tried anything like that before!  by no means was it perfect but with deer season being upon us I decided that we needed to empty our fridge of some deer meat and this was quick and easy to do.  I can't follow a recipe unless it is in a cookbook...if I look it up on the internet I tend to combine....as I did with this and here is what I came up with!
Summer sausage
2lbs ground deer burger
2 pounds ground deer sausage (breakfast sausage)
1 pound of thick cut platter bacon
Morton tender salt as per the directions on the bag.  
2tsp of mustard powder
2tsp of meat tenderizer(I don't think this is necessary)
2tsp cayenne pepper
2tsp of garlic powder (next time we will use 2tsp of chopped garlic)
2tsp of onion powder (next time I will double the mustard powder and omit this)
2tsp of liquid smoke (I could have used more but was a bit scared to over power)
4TBSP of steak seasoning 
chop up the bacon into small pieces and combine all ingredients in a bowl.  Use your hands and get it mixed real well.  Then run it through a meat grinder.  (we have the old crank type but this tasted so good we bought the attachment for my kitchen aid mixer it will be in on Friday)  after grinding it all up together roll it into log shapes put it on a shallow cookie sheet, and bake in oven at 175 degrees for 6 hours or until the internal temp reaches 160 degrees.  We rolled ours over several times during the process.  allow to cool and then place in zip-loc and store in the fridge.  

So I have been on a cooking spree the last few days.  I also cooked up some homemade Veggie soup (with venison tenderloin) I ended up with way more meat than we needed for our soup and I used the leftover to make up a homemade pot pie.  Apples were on sale at the grocery store for 38cents a pound so I bought 2 dollars worth and made apple pie and apple bread...yummy!!!  I know it was good cause hubby came by the house this morning with one of the guys from work and got apple bread to share!  
well I have orders to get out and if you haven't already you should totally check out   
Cristel Dezynz on facebook!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment